New organization will ensure smooth market migration to G.hn for home networks while continuing support for HomePNA
Beaverton, OR - May 28, 2013
HomeGrid Forum and the HomePNA Alliance today announced that they have merged to create a single organization focused on promoting advanced wired home networking technologies. more
# # #
HomePNA Ratifies New Broadband Access Specification
New "Fast EoC" Delivers up to 640Mbps Performance with Ethernet over Coax
San Ramon, CA - March 23, 2011
The HomePNA® Alliance today announced Fast EoC®, a new industry specification aimed to deliver performance up to 320 Megabits per second (Mbps) in regular mode, and up to 640 Megabits per second (Mbps) and more than 300 Mbps user data throughput to Multi-Dwelling Unit (MDU) environments in a new "enhanced" mode. HomePNA's Fast EoC targets broadband access in MDU and Hospitality markets.
"Fast EoC -- the new HomePNA Broadband Access standard changes the game by delivering reliable and affordable broadband over existing coax lines," said Michael Weissman, president of HomePNA. "Now, MSOs can leverage their existing cabling infrastructure to provide digital services to living units for 10% of the capital needed to deploy alternatives such as DOCSIS."
Fast EoC fills the market need for a high-performance broadband access solution that is quick to install and cost effective to purchase and deploy. HomePNA FastEoC-based solutions make this possible by enabling high speed Ethernet over Coax (EoC) using the existing coax cables in apartment buildings and townhouses to deliver new digital services such as high-speed broadband Internet access, VoD, and full IPTV directly to the living units.
The new HomePNA Broadband Access standard builds on HomePNA 3.1, an ITU standard and the world standard for triple play home networking over coax and phone lines, augmenting it with critical features for the demanding MDU environment.
"India craves high speed broadband," said Arif Ahsan, director, Strategic Business Development at Sercomm Corporation. "Due to the wide availability of coax and the many unique management features of Fast EoC, HomePNA has become one of the best, most reliable way for us to bring broadband to India."
"Fast EoC is a terrific technology for service providers in small and mid-sized cities," said Felix Jeng, President of Sendtek. "Dozens of service providers are successfully deploying our Fast EoC solutions today in China, Europe, India and Latin America and finding Fast EoC technology is very robust and practical."
Additional key benefits include:
- Broadband access networks in multi-dwelling environments typically have lower signal quality and higher noise and attenuation than home networks - making it a more challenging environment. The new standard increases transmission power and adds enhancements that make MDU operation robust and reliable.
- Fast EoC's enhanced mode uses bonded channels that provide up to 640 Mega bits per second (Mbps) data rate, which, combined with guaranteed QoS and true multicast capability, can enable the delivery of triple play services to MDU residents over the existing coax cables.
- Fast EoC delivers the highest security and privacy by adding encryption capability and a unique MAC architecture to prevent endpoints from becoming aware of or communicating with each other.
- Fast EoC enables control of up to 126 endpoints supporting the large number of living units in an MDU. The implementation enables the addition of these endpoints with almost no change in the total throughput, ensuring stable predictable performance.
- Network management in MDUs is important and the endpoints must be managed effectively. Fast EoC features capabilities that enable vendors to supply powerful network management tools.
HomePNA offers high bandwidth, guaranteed QoS, remote management, and diagnostic capabilities that facilitate the installation and maintenance of the home entertainment network. The technology provides flexible solutions capable of servicing MDUs, hotels, single-family homes, and large and small network operators enabling service providers to deploy reliable cutting-edge services, like triple-play, in a variety of environments, while minimizing operation expenditures.
Fast EoC-based HomePNA is available today from member, Sigma Designs.
HomePNA is an incorporated, non-profit association of industry-leading companies including AT&T, Motorola and Cisco working together to create, promote and certify multimedia home networking technology that operates over existing wires. HomePNA technology operates over coax cables and phone wires to deliver Internet Protocol (IP) services like IPTV, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and data, often bundled by service providers as triple-play services. Founded in June 1998, HomePNA members represent cutting-edge international companies that span the networking, telecommunications, hardware, software and consumer electronics industries. For more information on HomePNA, visit
# # #
All trademarks mentioned herein are believed to be trademarks of their respective owners.